Thursday, December 1, 2011

Magnetizing the Necron Doomsday/Ghost Ark

This post is a tutorial on my first try to magnetize a Necron Doomsday/Ghost Ark. The goal of the magnetization is to easily be able to swap between the Doomsday Ark and the Ghost Ark.

The supplies needed for this magnetization are:

-A Necron Doomsday/Ghost Ark !
-Plastic Glue
-Super Glue
-Green Stuff
-A piece of balsa wood (or chopsticks) about 1/2'' in diameter or 1/2'' x 1/2'' (basically the right size to fit inside the main cylinder of the 'rib cage' of the Ark
-Rare Earth magnets:
      -7 3/8'' diameter x 1/8'' thickness cylindrical magnets (model D62 from K&J Magnetics)
      -10 1/8'' x 1/8'' 1/8'' cubic magnets (model C222 from  from K&J Magnetics)
      -10 1/4'' diameter x 1/16'' thickness cylindrical magnets (model D41 from K&J Magnetics)

Onto the initial building work: 

1. Build the Cresent part following the instructions in the box.

2. Build the 10 Necron warriors on their stand following the instructions in the box .

3. Build the Cannon following the instructions in the box.

4. Build the prow part  following the instructions in the box.

5. Build the 'rib cage' part following the instructions. In here, you will have to choose in which direction you glue the rifles in place. In my case, I chose them to be in the right direction for the Ghost Ark. I don't think they look bad upside down at all. Magnetizing those will really bring the complexity level up, and I wanted to keep this simple.

After the building stage, you end up with these parts:

Now, onto the magnetization part:

1. Stick the piece of balsa wood inside the cannon: it will help your assembly be sturdier.

2. For the 10 Necron warriors: cut the end cubic part where you attach them to the rib cage, glue the cubic magnet where you just cut the plastic. Make sure all the cubes are glued with the same polarized side sticking out.

3. Clear the opening of the Cannon, the rib cage, the two open spots in the crescent, the prow and the end cap in order to be able to fit the large disc magnets (3/8'' inch diameter).

4. Using super glue and green stuff, glue the 3/8'' magnets to these spots. Be careful with magnet polarization! Before you actually glue the magnets, make sure the corresponding parts will attract and not repel.

5. On the rib cage part, where the Necron warriors are supposed to go, glue the small disc magnets (1/4'' diameters). Again, be very careful with polarization.

After this step you should end up with something looking like the pictures below:




Now the final step is to test your magnetization. Here I found a few adjustments where needed such as cutting some of the wires off of the cannon. The Ark is not magnetized to the flying base because that would leave a very visible magnet on the rib cage main cylinder in the case of the Ghost Ark.

This is the final Ghost Ark:

 And the final Doomsday Ark: 

This is it! Swapping from one to the other is pretty simple and fast, and the painting will be that much easier!

Comments, critics welcome!

6 comments:

  1. Awesome work! Thank you for taking the time to share. Did you find that the 3/8x1/8 were strong enough to hold the big peices together? Did you think of magnetizing the guns so that the blade doesn't face up? (Perhaps at that point it might be cheaper just to buy another Ghost Ark.) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment.

      I found that the 3/8x1/8 magnets are strong enough but you must still be careful to hold the Ark carefully when you are moving it around.

      I did think of magnetizing the guns but thought it was too much hassle. I am not too bothered by the blade facing up that is why I took this short cut... :)

      Delete
    2. Hey there.. I just wanted to followup with you on your project. Good choice on not magnetizing the guns. I did and they are easily knocked off/lost. I should have left well-enough alone on that one.

      Concernin the strength of the magnets, based on your comments, I used 3/8x1/4 and found them to be WAY too strong. In fact, I almost break the ark when trying to pull them apart.. Sounds like somewhere between 1/8 and 1/4 is the right thickness.

      Delete
    3. Hey,

      Sorry to hear the magnets were too strong. Maybe it depends on where you bought the magnets from or the type of glue you used.

      In any case it is indeed a difficult balance to find magnets strong enough to hold the big piece of the Ark and not be too strong...

      Txs for the comment anyways !

      Delete
  2. Great guide! I just finished up my ark. I decided to leave the warriors off to make switching that much easier. The magnets you suggested from K&J work great!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,

    K&J sells a 3/8x3/16 and I used those in place of the 3/8x1/8. I find they are strong enough to hold the large parts of the ark and not so strong that I feel like I'm breaking it to get them apart.

    I have also used the 3/8x1/16 to do my Command Barge so I can change it around and I have used 1/10x1/32 for my tomb blades sensor arrays, allows all sorts of variants.

    Thanks for posting this, it helped me a lot and I have been using more and more magnets on other models including my thunderhawk transport, a couple magnets and I can change from rhinos to land raiders in a few seconds, also means I can actually leave the vehicle there and still use the thunderhawk.

    ReplyDelete