Monday, February 27, 2012

The Road to Adepticon 2012: Display base for LotR Championship WIP

In order to have a different approach to the display base for my LotR Khazad Dum army and still fit the theme, I decided to go for a 'King's Hall' approach. The idea is that the army is being reviewed by Durin inside Khazad Dum.

Inspiration for this board was found on one of the cards from the LotR Living Card Game from Fantasy Flight:

Another source of inspiration was Bruce Hirst King's Hall piece for D&D games.
I used for this project Hirst Arts Molds # 42, 45 (gothic dungeon blocs), 205, 201 (floor tiles) and 85 (accessories: also good for objectives).

Having cast using Durham Rock Hard Water Putty enough blocks, dried them in the oven and sorted them out, I was ready to start construction.

I started to glue the tile pieces on a 1/2'' thick pink foam board that was 1 foot x 1 foot:


With all the pieces glued to the foam board:


Then, to add a more finished look, I glued around the base some wooden decorative borders found at Home Depot in the ceiling molding area. Then I filled some of the gaps with filler and applied Gesso on the back of the foam board to add some durability (bottom side of the board):


Next step: painting!

No comments:

Post a Comment